This blog now has a new address.... See www.SouthernGnome.blogspot.com
Saturday, July 31, 2010
Mark your calendars for this coming Friday night, August 6th.
A Taste of Local Foods
An Agricultural expo, highlighting local foods provided by local farmers and industries.
Come sample the local fare to see what's grown in Lincoln County.
Activities for children and adults
Samples of various local foods
Friday, August 6th
James Warren Citizen Center Lincolnton, NC
For more info call the Cooperative Extension 704-736-8452
2 Bell Peppers
2 Yellow Squash
1/2 Cup uncooked rice
1 lb sausage (I HIGHLY recommended getting the Italian sausage from Grateful Growers Farm.)
3/4 to 1 cup tomato sauce (my recipe is here.)
1/2 cup shredded cheese
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown the sausage and drain any grease. Set to the side
3. Cook the rice according to package directions.
4. Wash and dry your veggies. Cut the tops off of the peppers and discard along with the seeds and membrane. Cut your squash and zucchini in half lengthwise. To keep your veggies from rolling around when you put them in the pan slice just a little bit off of the pepper with a knife and use a vegetable peeler to remove one strip of skin from the uncut side of the zucchini and squash.
5. Place the zucchini and squash only in a 9x13 baking dish and put in to the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
6. In a large bowl combine the cooked rice, cooked sausage, and tomato sauce and stir.
7. When the 10 minutes are up remove the zucchini and squash and use a spoon to hollow out the halves. Season the hollowed out halves with salt and pepper.
8. Spoon the rice, sausage, and tomato sauce mixture in to all of the vegetables.
9. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
10. Remove from oven, sprinkle with shredded cheese and return to oven until the cheese is melted. Approximately 5 minutes.